Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Bucket List

Transun are currently running an amazing competition giving UK bloggers a chance to win a trip for 2 to see the Northern Lights. All you need to do is blog about your top 3 bucket list destinations! Yes I know it sounds easy but to pick three destinations from millions of places around the world has been a bit of a challenge. But here goes; here are my three places plus my reasons why.
Pig Island - The Bahamas

Yes, you read that correctly. If you travel across the North Atlantic to the Bahamas you will eventually come across a small paradise populated by swimming pigs. My fascination with this island started a few years ago. The interesting part for me is that no one really knows how the island came to be populated by pigs. It is purely speculation but some believe that passing sailors introduced the porkers thinking they would be a good food source but then never returned. Either way I think the main reason I love this place, other than my love of pigs, is the contradiction it presents. I grew up seeing pigs on farms often rolling around in the mud and so to see them gracefully swimming around in their own little bit of paradise is fascinating.

Salar De Uyani - Bolivia
The worlds largest mirror

Salar de Uyuni is the worlds largest salt flat. The amazing illusion it creates in these photos is due to its extraordinary flatness meaning that when covered in water it appears as a huge mirror. The first time I saw this I thought it was either photoshop or a scene out of movie. When I realised it was a real place I was blown away and soon enough it was top of my bucket list!

Lavender Fields - UK

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land."

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in searching for holiday destinations or new adventures that we forget how much beauty we can find in our home country. Here's a place that epitomises that for me. This isn't necessarily a place with an ancient history nor classed as a wonder of the world but for me you can't really get anything much more beautiful then what mother nature creates. 
I think that when we all inevitably set out on completing our 'bucket lists' and adding up our air miles we must remember to look around and appreciate the place that we start our journey. 
HAPPY TRAVELLING!
Instagram / Twitter / Email / Pinterest / Bloglovin' / Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment